i love . . .
Indie Quilting Shops - - - and where to re-fuel while you're shopping! Hey, fabric shopping takes a lot out of you - keep up your energy intake for the most efficient shopping!
- Cloth and Bobbin - great quilt shop in Narberth, PA - nice collection of designer fabrics, solids and more. Friendly shop owner - say hi to Johanna - tell her I sent you! Quaint little town - nice spots for a quick bite to eat.
- Ladyfingers - Owned by a good friend, Gail Kessler, who is also the marketing director for Andover Fabrics. Ladyfingers is located in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country on the Oley Valley - very close to where I grew up. My 92 year old mother used to go to hoedowns in the same building many, many moons ago! Gail's got lots of gorgeous fabrics and an amazing array of fabric - but the real reason I just can't stay out of this shop - - - THREAD - - the best collection in the northern hemisphere! Open the door to Ladyfingers and the biggest smile greets you - say hi to Denise - she knows all! Where to eat - stop by the Yellow House Hotel for a taste of PA Dutch cooking! In the mood for sweets - boy oh boy do I have 2 places for you to try - Reppert's Candies for amazing chocolates, and the Oley Turnpike Dairy for yummy ice cream!
- Heading to Lancaster County - here's a selection of favorite shops. You're gonna get hungry - my favorite place to grab a bite - Kling House Restaurant at Kitchen Kettle Village.
- Gather Here - We're not in Pennsylvania anymore! My daughter went to Boston University, and, being the fabric addict, I quickly discovered the local purveyors of quality fabric - - - best spot, hands down - Gather Here, in Cambridge, MA. They have it all - quilting, dress making, knitting. A nice selection of imports - delicious Echino, Kokko! Great patterns! A little bit of everything and a competent and friendly staff! Vittles - hey - you're in Cambridge - lots of great selections in the heart of the village. For sweets - - - head on down to Harvard Square - - - Sweet - - - decadent cupcakes.
New York City
- City Quilter - On to NYC - my younger daughter is a student at Parsons so I get to spend lots of time in the Big Apple. And this store is just great. Beautiful selection of quilting fabric - lots of solids and imports, NYC themed fabric too. The shop help - so friendly! And, now they have their own gallery with featured exhibits every month. Where to eat - my go to - Eataly - Mario Batali's mega food experience just a few blocks away - everything there is excellent!
- Purl Soho - Traveling to the southern end of Manhattan, on the edge of Soho, is this heavily advertised quilting meca - - - not as big as you might expect, but chockful for creative ideas and uber cool notions. Specializing in designer and imported fabrics, and yarns, you will be very tempted to open your wallet. For food - hey, you're in the heart of it all - just too many to mention.
- Lion Brand Yarn Studio - The BEST, yes, the BEST, window display in the city!!! I don't care if you knit or not - - - you must see the window displays at the Lion Brand Yarn Studio. Be prepared to drool! Bring your camera - folks just won't believe your verbal description - its just that cool! Its located just off of Union Square - so where might you eat - - - Union Square Farmers Market, of course!!!
Blogging - coming soon
Quilting - coming soon
- A Subject for Consideration - my very good friend Diane's thought provoking blog!
- That Kind of Woman - style blog of the daughter of a good friend of mine - makes me feel young again!
- More to come!